1. Brine from spring is collected in a holding tank or well.
2. Brine is removed from holding tank in a wooden bucket.
3. Brine simmering in salt-pan.
4. Salt residue is removed from pan after brine has been boiled off.
5. Collecting salt prior to removal from site.
6. Transportation of salt in baskets and sacks.
Follow the links below to see the open pan process of the 17th-20th centuries. What are the differences and similarities?
Also see the Canal and Salt schools resources pack and have a go at the virtual dig created by South Cheshire College. What can you find?
Open Pan ProcessSchools PackVirtual Dig
Victoria Buildings Lewin Street Middlewich, CW10 9AS
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.